Article search filtered by Volume

I have noticed that some Journals have the same article title in every issue. For example:

“Recent Developments in Blah Blah”

I am working on a new version of our automated DOI deposit and audit process and this situation poses a bit of a problem because I can see no way of narrowing the initial query down to a Volume and/or Issue. I am hoping I am missing something, but I see no filter or query by journal-volume or journal-issue.

I am looking at our content and trying to find if DOIs have been submitted for them. I am doing a simple:

[issn]/journals//works?query.title=“Recent Developments in Blah Blah”

This is fine if the article title is even slightly unique - I may have to loop through one or two results until I find the one that matches the volume/issue in question.

But for the cases where the same article title appears in every issue, I need to keep paging through multiple results until I get a match on Volume/Issue. This works, but I am dealing in large volumes so time and reducing API queries is a big component.

I am not seeing anything like query.journal-volume=86 or filter=journal-title:86

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @ajt_muse ,

Thanks for your message.

We don’t have any specialized filters for slicing and dicing journal content by volume or issue, but you could limit results using the select parameter to reduce some of the noise. I’m not sure which prefix or journal you’re affiliated with, so I’m going to use BMJ (ISSN 0959-8138) as an example, since it uses a similar article naming convention for some of its content and it has a large volume of content, which will be a good test case for dealing with large numbers of results:

https://api.crossref.org/journals/09598138/works?query.title=Recent+Developments&select=DOI,title,volume,issue,created&rows=1000&mailto=support@crossref.org

This query returns all 745 DOIs that are registered with us that have the word recent or development in the title. I’m limiting the metadata elements returned in the results to the DOI, journal-article title, volume and issue number, and date the DOI was created (initially registered) with Crossref.

I hope this is helpful,
Isaac

Isaac - Thank you.

This is helpful not just for this particular situation, but for all the queries we are making. We only care about a small portion of that returned data, so limiting the fields returned can easily compensate for asking for more rows.

I will implement going forward.

Thank you,

Abba

1 Like

Yay! Very happy to read that, Abba!

-Isaac