Feedback on new helper tool

I just tried the new helper tool and find it very difficult. I want to be able to select issues to add articles to without having to type in all the metadata again. I’m a tiny publisher and we publish content on a rolling basis so this interface is unwieldy and time-consuming - I also want to be able to find articles and add stuff to them easily - again not sure how to do this in the new webDeposit interface - am I missing something. The new system seems to have made it much more difficult.

Hi @dcrc. Thanks for your message, and welcome to the community forum. The web deposit form - CrossRef - DOI Deposit Form - is not the new helper tool that our Sara Bowman referenced in her blog about content registration next steps. Instead, the web deposit form is our oldest helper tool. We recommend its use over Metadata Manager because the web deposit form is stable.

The web deposit form was not designed to hold your metadata so that you can return to it and make updates. You can make updates using the web deposit form, but you have to re-enter the existing metadata into the form. That’s right.

Our technical team is hard at work on the new helper tool.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions,
Isaac

Hello,

I’m looking forward to the new tool, thank you for all the great work being done. I belong to a very small journal and have been using Metadata Manager to be able to correct mistakes done during registration using the OJS built in tool. I’ve had to manually register the latest articles we’ve published and I noticed that some appear on the list in the platform while others don’t. Would love if you could include beginner tutorials that introduce the very basics for new users.

Best regards,

Thanks for your message @Annv, and welcome to the community forum.

I’m glad Metadata Manager has been a valuable addition to your workflow. One thing to note with Metadata Manager is that we decided before launching it to not preload any existing member content. We have members with thousands of journals and hundreds of thousands of journal articles, so we decided against that approach because of the volume and overall load it would put on the system and our members. That said, there is the ability to add existing articles - those registered outside of Metadata Manager - to your account. You can find the documentation for these steps here: Registering new articles and working with volumes/issues - Crossref

It’s important to note that this functionality - adding existing articles to your journal workspace - is one of several recurrent issues that led us to the difficult decision to retire Metadata Manager. I’m hopeful you’ll be able to import those existing articles that need updating. If not, our web deposit form is an alternative: Web deposit form - Crossref.

-Isaac

2 Likes