DOIs for Translation/Version

Hi everyone!

It is known now that Translations/Versions should have a different DOI. However, one of the news from the end of the last year was the fact that, if you mention that the content isTranslationOf or VersionOf you won’t need to pay for 2 DOIs.

On Metadata Manager it is very easy to create this relation on the content. This question is to help those that do not use Metadata Manager and use OJS.

I’ve got a questions asking how to add this information on your DOI Deposits when you do it via OJS and deposit the content on Crossref.

(Roberto, I’m tagging you here to follow the subject @abec, @Roberto.)

2 Likes

A revista Educação & Formação está se preparando para as novas avaliações dos indexadores e, como estamos publicando em inglês também, então surgiram algumas dúvidas sobre o DOI.

Se, com base as diretrizes de avaliação, a versão de cada artigo (português e inglês) possui o mesmo DOI, então, vamos pagar duas vezes?

2 Likes

A revista Educação & Formação está se preparando para as novas avaliações dos indexadores e, como estamos publicando em inglês também, então surgiram algumas dúvidas sobre o DOI.

Se, com base as diretrizes de avaliação, a versão de cada artigo (português e inglês) possui o mesmo DOI, então, vamos pagar duas vezes?

Usamos a plataforma OJS 3.1.1.4
Aguardo seu retorno, desde já agradecemos.

2 Likes

@ifarley, is there any tutorial for this?:slight_smile:

Thanks for your question @lia_fialho! No, starting this year, if you register two DOIs - one for the Portuguese and one for the English version - and then link those DOIs together using the ‘isTranslationOf’ relation as explained here - https://support.crossref.org/hc/en-us/articles/214357426-Relationships-between-DOIs-and-other-objects - you will only be charged for one DOI.

2 Likes

Thanks for further clarifying this question. I’m going to translate this into English here @redufor:

Translation:

The magazine Educação & Formação is preparing for the new evaluations of the indexers and, as we are publishing in English too, so there were some doubts about the DOI.

If, based on the evaluation guidelines, the version of each article (Portuguese and English) has the same DOI, then, will we pay twice?

We use the OJS 3.1.1.4 platform
I await your return, thank you in advance.

I’m not sure on the specifics for relations and specifically the ‘isTranslationof’ relation within OJS, but my instincts tell me you’ll need to add the relation using XML as documented here: https://support.crossref.org/hc/en-us/articles/214357426-Relationships-between-DOIs-and-other-objects

The PKP forum is usually a great resource for these types of questions. You can always post to their forum here: https://forum.pkp.sfu.ca/ which they reply to very quickly.

@mnason Are my assumptions correct about the ‘isTranslationof’ relation within OJS - that you do not currently support it and therefore it must be added to the XML and then registered with us?

1 Like

Not yet, Bruna, but we’re working on a comprehensive blog for later this year that will provide more specifics on registering journals and journal articles in multiple languages. I have made a note, thanks to this post, to include specifics for OJS users in that post. My colleague Shayn, also on our support team, will be working on that in the coming months.

1 Like

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

@lia_fialho will try it via Metadata Manager for now:)

1 Like

Yes, adding it via Metadata Manager is a very good option, Bruna.

Olá @BrunaErlandsson @lia_fialho @redufor @ifarley @abec

Tentarei mostrar um exemplo utilizando o Metadata Manager. Como não fiz ainda em minha revista esse pode ser o mais fácil. :neutral_face:
-Abra o artigo original no Metadata Manager
-Na aba “Related itens” existe a opção de relação, e nesse caso é uma tradução “isTranslationOf” (figure)

1. o DOI, marcar como DOI
  2. título do artigo traduzido, marcar “isTranslationOf”
  3. Salvar (Save)

Nesse caso estaremos fazendo uma Relação entre dois artigos, sem ter que editar o XML. :sunglasses:

(figure)

Existe também a opção de mostrar os títulos traduzidos no início do artigo no Metadata Manager, como uma informação adicional (é opcional)

English:

I will try to show an example using Metadata Manager. As I haven’t done in my journal this may be the easiest.
-Open the original article in Metadata Manager
-In the field “Related items” tab there is a list option, in which case it is a translation “isTranslationOf” (figure)

1. the DOI number, mark as DOI
  2. translated article title, check “isTranslationOf”
  3. Save

In this case, we will be doing a List between two articles, without having to edit the XML.

There is also the option to show the translated titles at the beginning of the article in Metadata Manager, as additional information (optional)

1 Like