Upcoming changes to Multiple Resolution and Co-access templates

Users of Multiple Resolution and Co-Access will know that we’ve long-supported interim templates that members can customize to support content that might live in multiple locations e.g. on a society-hosted website and a publisher-hosted website.

We’ll be moving away from the existing custom templates in favour of standard pages for all members. In parallel, we’re taking the opportunity to update the look, feel and accessibility of these standard templates from the ones we currently provide.

There are a few reasons for this:

• Improving accessibility and responsiveness: by providing more standardised templates we can ensure that they meet accessibility standards for visually impaired users and will be responsive to the platform the user is coming from e.g. mobile, tablet, desktop etc.
  • User understanding: more standardisation across different templates helps users know how to interact with the information across different publishers. This is why we use standard templates for Crossmark, pending publications etc. and promote display guidelines for Crossref DOIs.
  • Current practice: today most publishers use templates based on the Crossref default.
  • Technical overhead: the current process is technically and procedurally inefficient for our members and staff. We’d like to streamline this which will help us better support the functionality, and manage the scale of use.

Here’s an example of the new templates:

Multiple resolution:

Co access:

We’ll continue to hone these over time based on user feedback (you can post issues in the GitLab repository for the templates), and thanks to those members who have already given us feedback as we have developed these templates over the past few months.

FAQS:

• Will members need to do anything when the switchover happens? No, it’ll happen automatically

• The service looks like it’s down - where can I check that? https://status.crossref.org/

• I’d love to request changes, where can I do that? You can post issues in the GitLab repository and we can easily keep track of them or reply to this post.

2 Likes

Update:

We went live with these changes on 10 August 2023 and are monitoring traffic to make sure they’re comfortably handling this.

Live examples are at:

Multiple resolution

Co access

1 Like