Contributor initials vs first name

The contributor fields on the DOI deposit form are for first name and last name, so what do we do with initials? In scientific literature by far the most common convention is to cite initials + family name in references (e.g J.R. Young) and this is the readily available data for most contributors. Should I put all initials in the first name field or just the Initial of the first name, and if I have first name and initials should they go in? Which would be acceptable in the first name field out of: Jeremy; Jeremy R.; J.R.; J. ?

Hi @JeremyRYoung ,

Thanks for your message. Good question here.

Which would be acceptable in the first name field out of: Jeremy; Jeremy R.; J.R.; J. ?

All are acceptable, but from a metadata standpoint, Jeremy R. is the richest of the options, and thus best practice would be to register Jeremy R. as your first name (or, given name) and Young as your last name (or, surname). Our matching algorithm for citations matches for dozens of citation formats, so the richer (and, more accurate) the metadata, the better for matching purposes.

My best,
Isaac