Visit the main Crossref website

Handshake_failure error in notifications

Hello and good day, I’m trying to activate notifications for newly created DOIs on our platform, I’m following this guide documentation/content-registration/verify-your-registration/notification-callback-service/ in the crossref page,
but I’m having an issue trying to test the endpoint, I’m following the steps until the “2. Test your endpoint” step.
I send the test request and it goes ok but the notification never arrives and when I query the notifications I get this this error
unable to complete notification: callback-notification
with this exception
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

If you want more information I’ll be happy to post what I have.

thanks for your time

Hello @gpinzon,

Could you let me know if you are still having this issue. I am not aware of any issues currently but I would be happy to investigate further for you if you have more information you can send me. What is your username you are using to create the endpoint against?

Thanks,
Paul

1 Like

Thank you for your help, I’m still having the issue, the username is morr, I created one endpoint in the test environment (this one test.crossref.o‎rg/notification-callback/exec/createNotificationCallback), and that went alright, but when I test that endpoint (using this test.crossref.o‎rg/notification-callback/exec/createNotificationCallback), it doesn’t work. When I query the notification callback attempts (using this test.crossref.o‎rg/notification-callback/exec/findNotificationCallbackAttempts) I see the error I described in the first post.

@pdavis can you help me?

Hello,

So in the example you say you created an endpoint in the system using test.crossref.o‎rg/notification-callback/exec/createNotificationCallback. Is that one you used?

To create an endpoint point using cURL you would need to use "https://test.crossref.org/notification-callback/exec/setNotifyEndpoint\

Then you test that using "https://test.crossref.o‎rg/notification-callback/exec/createNotificationCallback

Hello Paul
Thanks you for your response, I posted the wrong link in my previous answer but I used the endpoint you mentioned and created the endpoint without issues, it’s when I test the endpoint using createNotificationCallback that doesn’t work, and after querying the notifications I see the error I mention in my first post

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure