TypeError: Cannot read property 'status' of undefined

Hello! I’m trying to use the Metadata Manager for the first time and all was going well until I tried to make the deposit, which resulted in the following error: “TypeError: Cannot read property ‘status’ of undefined”. Any suggestions on what I can do to find the solution?

Hi @stranack. Welcome to the community forum. Thanks for your post.

We’ve seen this Type error a few times for Metadata Manager users. It usually has something to do with a special character in the metadata of one or more of the articles that you have included in your deposit. Can you send me the username and/or DOI prefix of the account so I can take a closer look? Sometimes I’m able to fix these errors myself, but I may need to get our tech team involved. I’ll know more after investigating the account.

My best,
Isaac

1 Like

Thanks Isaac! The username is sful and the DOI prefix is 10.21810. The journal is 10.21810/pop.

Thanks for the details, Kevin. I have investigated your account. I am unable to reproduce the type error, but I was able to successfully submit (register) your 10 articles, as you can see from the screenshot.

We have had other users report type errors and for some users we find that simply clearing the cart and reprocessing the submission corrects the issue. That seems to be what has happened for you. If you see the error in the future, please do let me know.

For now, your Metadata Manager account is up-to-date and all of the articles in your account have been registered.

Kind regards,
Isaac

1 Like

Thanks so much, Isaac! Much appreciated.

1 Like

My pleasure, Kevin.

Have a nice day,
Isaac

I appreciate the working of Metadata Manager. However, I request more maintenance for Metadata Manager. Also, sometime slow speed is the problem for Metadata Manager.

Hi @Anjum,

Thanks for your message. My colleagues on our tech team currently have a list of open Metadata Manager issues that we are working on here: https://gitlab.com/crossref/metadata_manager/issues. Feel free to review those, if you like. If you have other problems or bugs that you have found in Metadata Manager, please let me know so that we can get the issue recorded and ready for our tech team to review and repair.

As you can see, we have 18 issues that are either in progress now or are soon to be worked on.

Kind regards,
Isaac

1 Like

Hi @ifarley,

Thank you for the reply. I was unaware about this web address where you are working for Metadata Manager problems. Great to know it. It will help us to report problems if any at this page.

I really appreciate your work.
Regards,
Anjum Sherasiya

Hello @stranack and @Anjum. I have an update on these type errors you have reported. I learned yesterday that type errors are also generated when a submission is too large. Generally speaking, you should limit the number of articles you submit via Metadata Manager to 15 or less. We’ll be investigating how we can improve the interface so that users no longer receive this error in the future (https://gitlab.com/crossref/user_stories/issues/286), but it may take us some time to implement that. That said, we’ll begin work on that in 2020.

Kind regards,
Isaac

Hi @ifarley,

I think too large submission is not the problem as we never submitted more than 2 submission at a time still, we received this error in the past!!!
I hope that your team will find the solution to this error so, users will no longer receive this error in the future.

Anjum

1 Like

Yes, those type errors can also be caused by other factors, but the volume of articles included in a submission is a new known cause, so I thought I’d pass it along. Regardless, if you encounter the error, feel free to alert us at support@crossref.org, including your username and/or DOI prefix, and we’ll take a look.

Thanks again, @Anjum!

-Isaac

1 Like

@ifarley
Thank you for guidance. I will surely contact at the given address with the details whenever found such type of the error.

Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year 2020.

Best Regards,
Anjum

1 Like

Happy Holidays to you too, @Anjum!

1 Like

Hello Everybody. I’ve a problem with the Metadata Manager. I’ve this error message: “TypeError: Cannot read property ‘normalized records’ of undefined”
Could someone help me, please?

Thank you

1 Like

Hello @arph. Welcome to the community forum, and thanks for your question.

The issue here is that the journal Batna Journal of Medical Sciences was initially registered with the title Batna Journal of Medical Sciences. Then, when the journal was created in Metadata Manager, a new title was used: Batna Journal of Medical Sciences (BJMS). Because these two titles did not match EXACTLY, your submissions failed.

I have updated the title record in our admin tool system for the journal to Batna Journal of Medical Sciences (BJMS) and successfully registered your DOI with this submission:
https://doi.crossref.org/servlet/submissionAdmin?sf=detail&submissionID=1486332144

Please resubmit your DOIs now that I have updated the journal title, and do let me know if you encounter any problems.

My best,
Isaac

Hello Isaac,

Thank you for your reply.
I have tried to save other articles but the problem persists and there is this message: “Unable to add new DOI: Error(403): AUTHENTICATION FAILED”.
Thank you for your help.

Best

Hi @arph ,

That’s not good news. We made a mistake when we created your account in our system. I have corrected that mistake, but Metadata Manager is still passing that mistaken information along with your metadata when the tool tries to register your content. I have opened an issue with our technical team so they can investigate. You can view the details and contribute to the discussion here: Outdated and incorrect handle credentials being associated with Metadata Manager deposits (#65) · Issues · crossref / Metadata Manager · GitLab

Unfortunately, this specific problem is not widespread, so getting it prioritized might take some time.

Because of that, you may consider registering your DOIs and metadata using our web deposit form: CrossRef - DOI Deposit Form. Our help documentation for that tool is available here: https://www.crossref.org/education/member-setup/web-deposit-form.

I’m very sorry about this,
Isaac

Note that the DOI associated with article “Fibrillation auriculaire au cours du syndrome coronarien aigu avec élévation du segment ST” has been registered with us.

Hi Isaac,

Don’t worry, I was able to register DOIs through the webDeposit form.
You will have time to fix this issue.

Thank you for your assistance.
arph

1 Like